Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Some stories DO NOT have a 2nd point of view....

I have been following the Chris Brown-Rihanna debacle very closely because I have voyeurisitic tendencies...lol....Mostly it is because it is everywhere.

What has surprised me (frankly you would think a cynic like me is past being surprised) is the vitriol levelled at Rihanna by some posters on the 'urban' blogs. They are suggesting that she somehow earned this or that we do not yet know the whole story so we should not condemn Chris Brown.
This got me thinking on possible scenarios that these apologists fathom makes this act okay

I offer for your viewing pleasure a few possibilities of my own

1) An elf was trying to attack Chris Brown's family jewels and in his attempt to shake off said elf he rammed the creature into Rihanna face multiple times and left her badly banged up.

2) A mugger held them up at gun point and threatened that if Chris Brown didn't bite and punch Rihanna in the face he would shoot them both and so to save their lives he did what he had to do....

You will notice something about these scenarios: They are very unlikely.

My point here is that there can be no real justification for an act of violence of this magnitude against a woman. Even if she 'started it' that to me is a null/void/moot point. Why? Because there is a VAST difference between, restraining some one, shaking someone, slapping someone( you are already pushing it buster) and having them 'accidently' walk into your fists and teeth.


What makes me mad is how quickly this story is beginning to thread the well-worn narrative path.

First the spin started as a Romeo and Juliet romantic tragedy. Then it slowly devolved into 'society' once again 'misjudging' an up-coming young Black man and attempting to ruin his success, now the girl (who by the way is the victim) has been co-opted into the story as some 'Desdemona' character who is aiding and abetting his fall. RIGHT.
Forget that he comitted a crime and should be punished. It is 'The Man' out to get him aided by this Benedict Arnold Black woman.

This event got me thinking in a larger context of how little justice women can expect when violent crimes, especially of a sexual nature are commited against us.

Remember when R.Kelly got into his scandal with the 14 yr old girl....I remember the sick feeling I had when I read people say that because the girl knew her way around a man's body, R. Kelly was not in the wrong.....WOW....She may have been a mere 14 and he was a fully grown 34, but somehow it became her fault that he had broken the law. In this case also, even though Rihanna is the one with the swollen face, it will be her fault. After all everyone knows some women are tempestous and hard to control so, he had to be a man and handle his business.....

What is sad is, like with all those other celebrity 'mistakes' and foibles, Chris Brown will eventually go on the Kobe Bryant/T.I. apology tour and end up doing just fine and everyone will forgive and forget like they tried to do for MJ multple times.....

Well in my small corner of the world this is still not okay. Yes, some stories have gray areas, BUT this one is pretty Black and White to me...or at least in this case 'black and blue'.

4 comments:

  1. Janice!!
    I agree with almost everthing...wait i think just abt everything.
    Like my sis will say, if you dont want her, leave ...its not like u are stuck in some legally or morally binding union (unless the matching tattoos count) smh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about the reaction on the Urban blogs, but it is apparently the opposite of what I'm seeing in RL. Most people I talk to are completely dumbfounded by the absurdity of CB's actions. No one I've talked to, especially since the full extent of her injuries became public knowledge, has shown any sympathy for him whatsoever. Actually, remembering some of the names I've heard girls in my neighborhood call him in the last 2 days, I'm (almost) tempted to feel sorry for him once he gets to court. I can't imagine him being able to do the "apology tour". His career, as far as I can see, is effectively dead. When your primary customer base is young black women, the worst thing you can do is go Mike Tyson on the most famous young black woman in America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl, you've not lost your flavour at all, and as much as I don't wanna get caught up in the whole CB-RhiRhi issue, I must say that it just goes to show that in the end it's always the 'I-Told-You-So's' have the last say...isn't that just sad though, how everyone (including myself albeit for my own selfish kinky reasons) wanted their relationship to go bust and now that it has happened, everyone has their 2 cents to contribute. Like there aren't wars and an economic crisis looming in our world at the moment!

    ReplyDelete